Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday...and back at the helm....

Well, Rache here! I'm finally feeling well and able enough to pick the blog back up. It's been tough to focus on anything for more than 2 mins straight, but today feels 'right', so here I am.

Since Jim has been doing a more than stellar job at keeping the blog updated on a daily basis, you know all of the details and happenings since I went in last Friday AM. Well it's been a journey.

I guess the blog will now take on the 'road to recovery' angle.

I think the biggest/hardest thing for me to deal with has been the sheer 'loss' of use of my leg. Of course, whilst laying in the bed, you don't really NEED to move it..it just kind of sits there like a large wallowing sea lion. But when it IS time to move it...it's pretty much impossible. It doesn't matter how much you stare at it, will it, shout and swear at it, it's not moving.

The Physical Therapy folks at Northside were great, but them telling me to 'just pick my foot up and move it', was not so endearing. I can't explain what it feels like to know that you need to move it, and that you know HOW to move it, but simply can't. No matter what.

But now I'm home and things are progressing pretty well, I think. I haven't yet walked the length of our hallway from the living room (where I'm spending my days on the couch) to the bathroom, but I am beginning to make pretty good transistions from the wheelchair to the walker, walker to couch/bed etc. I'm taking it one day at a time with a few more steps each day.

I spent an hour or so in the wheelchair today which was nice just to be up OFF my back for a while. Not being able to sleep in any other position other than on my back, and pretty much lay perfectly still for the entire night is already getting a little tedious. I guess 7 days flat on your back will do that to you.

I feel as if there is so much I need to blog about...and instead of this becoming the longest blog post known to man, I'll cover it in the next posts...but just so I remember, I need to cover; Flowers, Nurses, Friends as well as of course, the daily updates and improvements.

OK, so maybe I'm still not able to focus for more than 10 mins, since I'm about done as I type this sentence, but just like my resident wallowing sea lion, that too shall improve with time :)

Thanks to EVERYBODY who has and continues to help me through this, my friends, my family, and especially my hubby, who has been a true saint.

Until tomorrow...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rache
I think it's time to name your wallowing sea lion. Just something to ponder when you find yourself bored and with nothing better to do.
Lauren

Denise said...

Welcome back Rachel!!
Further to Lauren's comment. For mild and relevant amusement visit her entry of Dec 12th 2007 and watch the video. You'll 'get it', really 'get it' now
D

Anonymous said...

Guess who found you... mwah ha ha! Glad to hear youre doing good at home... I knew youd do great once you made it there. See, you didnt need us at NSH as much as you thought--Keep up the good work :) OH and PS-your empty room today when I showed up to work made me smile a little, but it wasnt the same without you!

Cassie said...

Rachel,
Just wanted you to know I just caught up on all your posts after being on a business trip for the past week. I'm sending my long distance encouragement your way. I'm glad you have a super supportive hubby helping you make adjustments. Each day gets better. Keep up the good work,
Cass